Sunday 26 May 2013

Mini Apple Rose Tart

Today I got it in my head to try make a rose out of apples and pastry. It's very finiky but I was happy with the overall effect.

 I chose Gala Apples as I liked the reddish colour for the rose effect. Pink Ladies also work really well.
  1. Cut the apples into thin segments.
  2. Soak them in ginger ale.
  3. Roll out pastry (I was lazy and bought the ready made roll out shortcrust) and cut into long strips.
  4. Melt a little butter in a frying pan on a gentle heat.
  5. Dry apples with paper towel and place carefully in pan - not overlapping each other.
  6. Sprinkle with a teeny bit of sugar if you wish but I found they didn't really need it thanks to the ginger ale.
  7. Take a strip of pastry and place apple segments along the strip, overlapping them a little.
  8. Leave one end with pastry over and start rolling from that end carefully gathering the apples along the way. At times the apples poked out but I gently encouraged them back in!
  9. Beat an egg and brush over the rose gently.
  10. Place on a baking tray with grease proof paper on it and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
...et voilà!


No comments:

Post a Comment